Needless to say, this election was one of the most amazing races to have ever taken place in US history. They call it a "historic election," but I think it would have been a historic election whether or not we had a black man running for president and a stupid bimbo running for vice-president. All elections are historical when you think about it, since the next four years are kind of hanging in limbo during the election, but I will concede that this one was especially historic. I'm really excited for the outcome and I really do think a lot of good things can come from Obama. I wish I could have been at home to see all of the pre- and post-election excitement, but here in Spain there was a lot of happy chatter about the outcomes as well. I bought some newspapers today to keep as a momento of the election and how it was perceived in Spain, and it's ridiculous that the election news took up 16 pages in the paper. We would be lucky to even have one article about Spain's elections in the Seattle Times. Oh well, we see where the power lies and who is more important on an international level :-) Just kidding... sort of.
I woke up this morning at 5:30 and I was about to just lie there and try to go back to sleep and then it hit me: OMG OLIVIA GET UP! ELECTIONS ARE OVER!!! So I got up and watched msnbc.com stream their newsfeed live for the whole morning. My senora was happy about the outcome, my barista at Starbucks was happy, my marketing professor was happy. Good times all around. I bought a chocolate bar and ate it in celebration. Don't worry, I'll go running tomorrow after midterms, and then to the discoteca at night so the chocolate bar was okay. Rationalization, yes. But anyway, I am really hopeful for the next four years and I just wanted to write it out. It's weird being an American in a different country during such a pivotal moment. Everyone asks your opinion and they expect you to KNOW everything. So, in a sense it's good because I'm more motivated to research the topics and actually have an idea of what the election and politicians all believed, but it's also weird because I feel like I'm doing my happy dance on the inside and no one else is as excited because, well, it isn't their president. So, victory belongs to us and we'll see Obama get to work hopefully and bring about the change he talked so much about. Talk the talk, walk the walk, please. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
In other news, 6 more weeks until I'm home! Yay! I have midterms today and tomorrow and I'm not horribly worried for them - I almost even want to go on a run today instead of study, but we'll see... maybe after class tonight. This weekend will be dedicated to working on presentations and projects, and I am feeling a very productive mood coming upon me soon so hopefully it will work out. Gibraltar and Cordoba next weekend. I'm excited for going to Buddha tomorrow, and Boss next Wednesday for the 80s night, haha. That should be interesting :-)
Alright, back to studying before lunch... maybe a run after lunch... haha. BAH I don't feel like studying, but I must :/
xoxo Olivia
Wednesday, November 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment