Sunday, October 11, 2009

Oh, Canada

Well, two real weeks have gone by in my first position post-graduation. And I'm still swimming. No sinking yet. I have actually also been driving. Five hours of it today. From Seattle to Princeton, BC... which is about 200 km east of Vancouver, just to give you a little bit of geography. Want some more geography??? This town is about two streets wide and three streets across. It's super tiny. The hotel is great, though. I have two beds, I have a table, a microwave and a fridge, and a pretty nice bathroom. The TV has cable, so obviously I'm getting my fill of CNN. It's probably a good thing I don't have cable at home because I would watch CNN all day long... which would mirror what I do on the weekends now that football season is upon us. I try to be productive and study and do really important, meaningful things. But then that turns into me sitting on the couch with my Becker book in my lap watching all the games. So then, I migrate to Starbucks by my house to study because there's less to do there besides, well, study. And then it turns out that my cute Starbucks boy is working and so then if he comes by to pick up garbage or sweep or something I just get nervous and can't concentrate because he is so adorable. And of course I've never spoken to him. But it's nice eye candy, you know. Who has time for all of that mushy gushy stuff anyway?

So anyway, now I'm in Canada and in a hotel room there isn't much to do. Which will be great for my productivity after I finish writing this post. There are so many things just going through my mind, though, it's crazy.

Obama won the Peace Prize? Really? I mean, I voted for him and I'm so glad he is leading us, but the Peace Prize? What about all those people who devote their entire lives in the name of peace? The people who are nameless and faceless right now, working behind the scenes, orchestrating wonderful not for profits or are on a mission working with the underpriveledged and war ravaged towns. What about those people I say! Summary: Go Obama, but let's recognize others as well. (I mean, what's next? Will Brangelina get the Peace Prize next year???)

Next: I cannot find my Twilight DVD. I am so sad. I was hoping to watch it this week while I'm in Canada-ville. But, it was no where to be found in my room. I might have left it at my sister's house when I was housesitting in August, actually, because I haven't been able to find it in a while. I finished reading all the books and I am so excited to watch New Moon. I will be in Moses Lake I think when it comes out, working, however I might just sneak out at midnight to go watch it. Just because it's the Twilight Saga. And I wish I could have a romance like theirs in my own life. Even though all men are assholes, especially finance majors. It's a catch 22. (Which is a great book, btw. I can't wait to be all settled down into a work routine, sorta, and have some time to read for fun!!!)

El tema proximo: I miss Europe so much. I had the lucky opportunity of visiting Rome for training for work a few weeks ago. It was absolutely amazing. I love European cities. Life is so different there. Granted, yes, I am usually there on vacation and so life in general has the "rosy sunglasses" feel to it for that sole fact... but I did live in Sevilla from September to December last year and I got into a groove. Life is so slow paced there. It's honestly, stressfree. My senora... the only thing that woman worried about was cleaning her floors, really. She went out with her friends to tapas all the time, saw peliculas every miercoles with her boyfriend... she was living the life. The Siesta is a reality, not a myth. Taking a nap in the middle of the day??? Nice. Especially since we would usually be up till late in the evening. The style is so nice there. Guys actually know how to color coordinate and know what looks good and actually apply it to their wardrobe. Zara is amazing. Bershka. Stradivarius. El Corte Ingles, obviamente. Life was super.

DISCLAIMER: Not to say I don't like living and working in Seattle. But you know the song by Augustana called Boston. Sometimes I want to do that. Just move. First move, though, will be moving OUT. I really think living downtown would be super, but it's a little pricey so I think I'll just move to Eastlake with Cybal and Tina or stick to West Seattle but just... the other side of West Seattle that's further away from Mama. I love her to death, but I need my independence. And I just signed up for the gym in West Seattle for one year... so it'd be pointless to move away from it. I've gone consistently for the past two weeks I've been a member and it feels so great. In the summer, I went running in Lincoln Park almost every morning, but it's too chilly for that, and now the gym has so many machines so you can work lots of different things, not just the cardio. So this is super.

I also really am enjoying my job. So why would I move away from something I liked? I know I just started so it's all still fresh and new and exciting, but I think it's actually a really great place and I do like challenges and this job will probably present many of them. So, yay. I want to definitely stay long enough to get to move around a little bit... move up, yes, and then moving literally would be cool but not necessary because I adore Seattle and all of her glory (But let's be honest, a global rotation in Sevilla or London or Warsaw would send my excitement levels to the next galaxy). And then move to like, Advisory or DPP would be super rad.

Okay, I think that's enough for now. I still have lots of thoughts. But, I should look at my Becker book before I go to bed :)

Cheers,

Olivia

1 comment:

Nick T said...

Good read! Very well written.