So, I've had a few frusterating days with my little familia here. We've had miscommunications and it's just really irritating because they make me feel like it's all my fault for not understanding or just make me feel really dumb. So, a few stories and some updates.
I told my señora the other day that I was going out during the evening and wouldn't be home until later. Well, it was already like 7 pm at this point and so I just assumed that because I said "later" it was kind of understood that I wasn't coming home for dinner, which was probably at like 10:30 anyways and still too early to eat for these people. I feel so gross eating that late at night. I'm going to have to do something to change this whole 10 pm eating a full dinner schedule. Going on a run today for sure to hopefully help me out, haha. But anyway, so the next morning I get up and she was like, Olivia you didn't come home for dinner last night! And I was like, well I told you I was going out and I wouldn't be back until later in the night... like, WTF, if you had doubts you could have called me if you wanted to, you know? Or like, maybe ask if I'll be there for dinner. Or better yet, tell me what time dinner is. I usually ask what time I should be home for lunch or dinner, and she NEVER tells me a time. "Oh, well, you know, whenever you get here is fine..." Ugh. So that was one story.
The next time I upset my señora was yesterday. I went to Starbucks in the morning to work on my essays for class and my señora wasn't home so I left her a note and said I'd be back probably around five. Well, 2 rolls around and I'm getting hungry so I go home to get a bite to eat. OMG she made me feel so bad for coming back. She was like, you said you weren't coming home until five so I didn't make anything for lunch! And I was like, oh it's okay you don't have to, I can make myself a sandwich. The thing is, here, we usually have like a different meal, cooked, everyday. I could really do without that. So every meal takes a while to prepare, but this time she just gave me half of an empinada and that's it. I was like, oh, muchas gracias, que deliciosa. Aka, I would have rather made myself a sandwich. I feel really bad that they have to stop everything to make me food. Like, I have two hands. I can do it, I won't break anything, I promise.
My last super-bitch moment in regards to food was yesterday, too. So, I had my food at like 230 and then by 930 I was hungry. I asked my señora's daughter if we were going to eat soon, and she was like WHAT. I thought she didn't understand, so I was like, are we going to eat dinner? And she's like, Only little kids eat at 930 at night. We eat at 1030. So, I respond with, well I'm a little kid because I'm only 21. So she like gets up to make me food like I'm some kind of problem. I was like, it's okay I can make myself something... like wtf, I know how to do things, too! Anyway, I felt bad, but dude, I'm so hungry after not eating for 8 hours after you gave me enough food for a bird.
Ay, ay, ay. The problems a foreigner goes through.
We have fun with my group from the program, though, so as long as that continues, I'll survive :-) Okay I will stop complaining now. Homework time.
Cheers,
Olivia
Sunday, September 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Lets hope your "familia" dont get the link to this!!!
Olivia...e-mail me your address. I'll send you Honey Nut Cheerios and evaporated milk to snack on!
Post a Comment