Just in case I had any previous doubts: Life is good :-)
The weather in Sevilla has taken a turn this week and I'm loving it. The Sevillans, on the other hand, are not loving it so much. Yesterday I don't think it got about 16 degrees Celcius, which still is pretty warm, but people were walking around with winter hats and huge jackets like it was going out of style. So cute. I wore my North Face finally - the first time since I've been here! It was a little too warm for me, but hey, "when in Rome, do as the Romans do." Brett and Jenna and I went to El Corte Ingles yesterday to find Brett a nice Real Betis soccer jersey and he said I looked very Spanish all bundled up while he was wearing a short sleeved shirt. But hey, I just want to fit in! Haha. It was really hot in that jacket, though. I don't know how the Sevillans think it's freezing. My señora even left me an extra blanket to cover my bed last night, but I didn't need it. Oh Spaniards.
I think I've finally given up on being nice to my señora's daughter Maria because she is a complete B*tch pretty much all of the time. I don't enjoy her company at all and I love it when she doesn't come home for lunch from work. Is that sad? Haha, my señora is lucky she got an American with so many things that's too lazy to pack all of them up in her suitcase again to move to a different house or to the student dorms, because if I had any kind of motivation I would have done that a while ago. I love my señora, she's really nice and talks to me and we have good conversations. But her daughter. God, what a bitter person. I try to avoid all kinds of contact her and keep our conversations to a "Hola" and then in my mind I think "puta." Haha. I hope they don't find my blog and read it... but it's not like I don't like her just because. I have tried to be amicable to her and start conversations. Like last weekend, her boyfriend was over for the weekend because he lives in Madrid, and so after he left I was just asking her questions about him and how they met and all of that stuff. I'm sorry, if you are really into a guy, you want to talk about him. She gave me one word answers. Earlier this week, Maria and I ate dinner alone because her mom went out, so I started asking her about her school because she actually goes to the same business school here as I do, she just doesn't actually attend classes. She just takes the exams... and she's 26 and not done with school yet, but that's a story for a different day... so I was asking her about her major and how she likes it and stuff. One word answers again, and she doesn't even try to get to know me at all. Usually when you get a question like, "Oh how do you like your major?" and are in a conversation, I feel like it should be two sided. Always one sided. So, during our awkward dinner, I asked her about it and then I was like, "That's really cool, I have liked all of my management classes I've taken (she's a mgmt major...), but I chose accounting as my major and I'm just about done." And then Maria does the head nod and gives me those eyes like, shut up seriously. So then I just finished my dinner in silence and went back to my room so she could be antisocial and watch TV by herself in the living room. Whatever.
Another thing that sucks is like, I got really good news from KPMG, like yay I have a job, and I was SO happy the night I got that email from the partner I interviewed with, and I told my senora and her daughter during dinner, and they were like, oh nice... moving on. I was WTF. Seriously. No congratulations or anything. Whatever, I'm going with Maria is just jealous because all she does is paperwork at a damn horse breeding business. How random is that. I'm working at one of the biggest accounting firms in the world. My friends in the program made my day though because they shared in my joy that I have a life after graduation already and I love that I have friends here. There are definitely a handful of people that I will be keeping in touch with after we get back to the States, and there are already talks of a reunion during Spring Break and summer in Boulder, Philadelphia, and Seattle. :-) I've made a few Spanish friends. I got coffee with my intercambio Juli earlier this week and that was fun, we actually had a conversation for over an hour without awkwardness, and he's just really nice overall.
Anyway, those are just my frusterations. There aren't many updates about Sevilla really. I'm not traveling this weekend and next weekend in hopes of getting a majority of my projects done for my classes for the end of the quarter, especially since I will be gone all weekends after that in this order: Barcelona, Gibraltar/Cordoba, London/Nantes, Paris, and Toledo. I'm excited. I might look for a dress for Peter's ball in Paris, just to say I got a dress in Paris and be really cool like that. Erin is coming on December 9th and I'm really excited for that. I really miss her and after the conversation I had last night with Brett about friendships, I really really just want to be home with my friends that I know are my friends and that I feel comfortable around, like, that I can be myself and not feel judged.
Also, today is Halloween so we're going to go out. I need to stop by the store and buy some butterfly wings after our company visit for marketing - we're going to visit a brewery today where they make Cruzcampo beer for our International Marketing class - which I really don't understand because there isn't anything international about Cruzcampo except for that Heinekken owns it or however you spell it. It's made in Sevilla and only sold in Andalucia, this southern region in Spain. International much? Not so much. But anyway, I'm just going to get butterfly wings after that tour today and wear my yellow dress tonight and call myself a butterfly, whatever. Halloween isn't my favorite holiday and I really don't feel like going out at all. We went out last night for a little while to Buddah and I went just to be social and now my hair smells like smoke and I just wasn't really feeling it last night. Perhaps tonight will be more fun. And anyway, after getting my wings, I'm going to be studying at Starbucks with some friends for our midterms that are next week. Exciting life I lead, I know, I know.
So anyway, the point of this blog began with just mentioning that I love the weather now, but it expanded to be more of a journal entry than a blog with my feelings and all. Woops. Hope you enjoyed anyway. Exactly 7 weeks until I get back to Seattle. I can't wait!!
Cheers,
Olivia
Friday, October 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment